Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Since I haven't said much about designing lately, here's a picture of a necklace that's coming soon(ish):


(Skin by Tete a Pied, hair by -- as always! -- ETD, chaotic pink clothing by :Lollipop:, though I may have gotten the number of colons around the name wrong.)

It's called Casual Excess, named because a) it's casual and b) when I made it, I crammed as many little discs into that center ellipse as I could, and really, that's kind of excessive. I made the pose I'm using in that picture, too. If you want a copy, just IM me. No guarantee it'll look good from the waist down, though.

I'm proud of the script I put in it; it's the most advanced script I've put together yet -- which, granted, isn't saying much. It's my usual color changing script, but you can effectively turn it on and off by clicking the necklace. So if you're worried about lag (the script uses listens), as far as I know, this will allow you to eliminate lag from the script.

(Though a necklace like this will still cause some slowness, of course, since the texture has to be loaded and the prims have to be rendered. Incidentally, I went into a jewelry shop a while ago, and saw a sign saying that the owner's jewelry caused no lag because it used no textures. While I am more than willing to give the owner the benefit of the doubt and assume they actually believe this, it's simply not true. Neither, in fact, is their claim that their jewelry naturally sparkles because of the excellent prim placement. Any very tiny prims will produce that shimmer effect, even if they're flung about randomly.

Okay, ranty digression over.)

Progress on the build continues slowly but steadily, though I have to admit I'm not in the mood to work on it right now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ennui said...

Heh, I know which sign you mean ... irks me too. It would be nice if prims didn't lag - as it is now, I have a folder of fps-killer jewelry which I'd love to release or at least wear but no way. :(

May 31, 2006 11:35 PM  
Blogger Random Calliope said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 02, 2007 2:14 PM  
Blogger Random Calliope said...

http://wastelands.wikidot.com/lag <- please read. The "no lag" comment was made by someone else, not me (the jeweler mentioned above). And yes, I do control the shimmer direction and intensity by the cut and placement. Don't you yours?

April 02, 2007 2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home