Thursday, September 28, 2006

My new store is woefully primmy. It's already over 1,000 prims, and it's not quite done yet. (Though all I have left to do is the front, and the lighting, and I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do either of those yet.) The ktris render numbers are pretty awful; most stores have better rendering numbers (except, oddly enough, Panache). I'm pretty nervous about it, even though I plan on keeping the number of texture pixels way, way down.

On the other hand, it looks really, really good. And I have a gorgeous and insane staircase. See?



No, those aren't the final textures or colors. I tint my prims bright, clashing colors when I build, to help me quickly see flicker or bits that are poking out. And those swirly bits (tubes, not tori) don't go all the way up the railings; they peter out as they go. It's an ungainly compromise: it doesn't look nearly as good as it would with all swirls, and it's a good deal laggier than it would be without any swirls at all.

I refuse to switch to a texture railing, though. There are a lot of ugly things in SL I can tolerate -- alpha flicker, legs going through skirts, necklaces that dip under the avatar's skin in places -- but texture windows and railings aren't among them. Aside from all the problems with alpha channels, they just look so thin.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ennui said...

Wow, that is quite the staircase :) Total agreement on texture railing vs prim railing - texture railing can look good from one angle, but imho it's often pretty disappointing in a 3D setting, just doesn't look "solid" enough.

October 05, 2006 4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home