Thursday, April 19, 2007

I posted about this over at Second Citizen first, and now I'm posting it here.

Jewelry Expo

I'd like to do a jewelry expo -- Hair Fair for jewelry, basically. I've held off on doing this because I'm kind of a nobody and don't have sufficient land, but hey, if I don't try it's definitely not going to happen.

How it Would Work

An open invitation would be posted on various forums, as well as IMs/notecards sent to people that are known to be jewelers. Designers who want to participate would be asked to join a group, and would then be able to put up a stall at the expo, which would last about a week. Signups would be closed at some point before the expo opened.

Lag would be controlled in several ways. First, there would be prim limits on the number and type of prims (boxes, cylinders, and spheres only). Secondly, there were be pixel limits for textures. (I'm thinking something between the equivalent of one 1024x1024 texture or two 512x512 ones.) Lastly (and least effectively), there would be signs up asking people to please remove all prim attachments except hair and shoes, and any jewelry demos they pick up at the expo.

I'm considering having a celestial theme to the build, and to the auction and treasure hunt (see the next section). I can see the pros and cons of this, so any input about this would be appreciated.

I'm tentatively aiming at September for a date for this.

Events

The expo would culminate in a charity auction, which expo merchants would be invited to donate limited edition items to. Because of lag and differing time zones, I think it would be best to mimic the Relay for Life auction last year: keep scripted auction boxes set out for days. The boxes can stay out for the entire expo, and the auction can end on the expo's last evening/afternoon.

The expo would also have an on going treasure hunt, with expo merchants again invited to donate prizes.

Lastly, a separate area for designer-run events would be built. Expo merchants would be able to sign up for a timeslot (or many timeslots), and use the event area to run meet and greets, fashion shows, building demonstrations/tutorials, or other events of their choosing (pending organizer approval, of course). If there's a lot of interest in the expo, it might be best to limit these events to the later days of it, since I know how crammed Hair Fair's first couple of days were.

What's Needed

Land! Seriously, I'm willing to do basically everything else, but I don't have the land for this and don't have that many ideas for how to get it. Any and all help on this front would be greatly appreciated.

Want to Help?

I'll be writing up a notecard with this information, so that people can pass it around and drum up interest. If you want a card, just IM me.

I was going to hold off on making a group until I secured some land, but on further reflection, it seems best to make the group now. If you're interested in this, join the group Jewelry Exposition 2007.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I should be sitting on my hands, but.... I'll help. BTW can you add me to the group. SL's databases seem to be down and I cannot search for anything.

April 20, 2007 1:48 AM  
Blogger Casandra Shilova said...

I don't have any connections, but the land Virtual Angels Yardsale was on seemed quite empty. Maybe they would be willing.

Good luck,
Casandra Shilova

April 20, 2007 3:07 AM  
Blogger Miriel Enfield said...

Thanks, you two. And I'll send you an invite, Tanya.

April 20, 2007 5:37 AM  
Blogger Lucas Lameth said...

Hi Miriel! Caliah Lyon and I have spoken a lot about a Jewelry Expo but always just tossing around ideas. It looks like you have some ideal guidelines setup especially when it comes to lag control and target date for September! Sadly, I'm one who constantly struggles for land space so don't have an idea for available SIMs for a Jewelry Expo but as long as there is time ti hunt around. -- Please sign me up as a contributo! I can't speak for Caliah as well but I'm excited to tell her about it.

April 24, 2007 2:40 PM  
Blogger Miriel Enfield said...

You (and Caliah) were on my list of merchants to invite once I secured some land. :D I'll send you a group invite and a notecard once I'm back in world.

I think I'm just going to go with renting a sim from LL and using sponsorship.

April 24, 2007 3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nice Blog .The independent Jewelers Point store can't offer the same size product selection because they don't have the finances. The chain stores have better real estate, better product selection, and more money for advertising.

July 04, 2008 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home