Sunday, June 10, 2007

I actually did some work on the vendor script today. It needs more testing -- including a test to see how fast it gets overloaded -- but it currently seems to be working. It now allows more than one person to buy from it at once, which required a major change in the script's internal structure. This isn't to say that it can handle an infinite number of simultaneous orders: scripts are only allowed so much memory, and it will overload and crash if it goes over that. I suspect I'm going to be looking at an upper limit of around 10 orders at once, give or take, which should be more than enough for everything but limited editions from extremely popular designers. And the vendor doesn't support limited editions anyway, so nyah. (Though now that I think about it, that might be something to add...)

I've also been wracking my brain to figure out how to add a gift card system, but I keep coming up short. It's not that it's so hard to have an attachment keep track of money and communicate with a vendor. That's easy. The trouble is making it secure, so that people don't spoof cards to get free stuff or spoof vendors to grief. The only truly secure method of communication is object to object email, and that comes with a 20 second delay each time it's used, and I'd have to send a couple. Which might be fine, were it not for the prospect of multiple people with gift cards trying to use them at the same time. I don't want things getting clogged up.

On the sculptie front, I've been trying half-assedly. Blender has taken to adding flat sections to my sculpties. The crisp edges of them are impressive but unwanted.

I've been having a desire to make a sort of... arty catalogue. Something that people can pick up, that features fancy pictures and lets you buy the items in them. I probably shouldn't, but, but...

In other news, the big eyes are coming out the week after this one, and the Elaine revision is coming along nicely so far (I've fixed the laces in the back, and now need to get to work on the neckline). And yes, everyone who's bought a copy of the dress will get a copy of the revised one.

Oh, and I've heard that Romenna will be taking merchants. The degree to which I hope this is true is simply not healthy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home