Monday, September 17, 2007

*flops*

Well, most of the booths so far are now okay. There will be a few more I need to check and a couple people still need to fix things, but most of the booths on my big list now have "OKAY" written next to them.

Phew.

I've got some ideas for how to do things next year. I'm going to do a chart of texture size equivalences, for instance -- I can't believe I didn't think to do one this year. My unpopular scrolling vendor policy is going up for a vote. I'll be keeping a waiting list, and I may use entrance fees to help weed out the unserious.

In terms of people getting angry at me, well, I've dealt. I know I've frustrated more than a few people with how I've been enforcing the rules, and I'm not thrilled about that, but at least I'm getting practice in handling it. I think the worst treatment I got, actually, wasn't even from an angry vendor -- and it didn't even make me angry so much as shock me (though, looking back on this person's previous behavior, perhaps it shouldn't have). It was with a jeweler who, after I sent them a note about a minor rules violation, very politely explained to me that they hadn't read the rules and had expected to break one or two. Even though I'm not overly upset, this seems more disrespectful than anything else that's happened so far; at least all those people who argued with me weren't treating my event as something so beneath them that they didn't even need to bother with the rules.

8 Comments:

Blogger Allegory Malaprop said...

I wanted to thank you so much for running this. It's my first experience vending (my partner, who's away right now, has sold things before, but I've just make randomness for us), and I found things went really smoothly setting up and all. For me at least, it's been a really positive first experience with vending.

I also think you are totally and completely insane for checking everything yourself. Ok, I would probably do myself too, but you really need to get some minions.

September 17, 2007 10:45 PM  
Blogger Miriel Enfield said...

Oh, thank you! I'm glad it's working out well for you.

I'm checking everything myself because ultimately, it seems easier. I don't have to worry about my minions counting things differently than I do, and when I find a problem, I can just send a notecard/IM straightaway, instead of having a helper tell me and then needing to go check the booth myself.

September 17, 2007 10:57 PM  
Blogger Alienbear Gupte said...

^^ tysm miriel, You are so generous & don't be upset. You already did a great job. & it is a great layout of the expo too so people can have more space to shop around. I am really appreciate with the rules as it really turn down much lag. Maybe next year add a rule say "make the items to phantom". a vendor told us that phantom the objects can minimize the lag. I love the idea of treasure hunt too but I am late to submit a design for you ^^ next year maybe.

& this is a really good way for use all jeweler to group together as not only can help us promote but also is a good chance to know more good design in SL. Some stores are new to me , if you don't held this expo, I never can own those great design.

But a bit disappointed when I see there is few spot empty :( yes I agree with you, maybe next year do a entry fee so just for ensure that vendor will be in the expo. as they must come if they pay for it.

woot thank you so much again Miriel! you are just so generous & have a good business sense. A good business woman & event organizer! Cheer up, I will be good & follow the rules you set ^^

September 18, 2007 12:31 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Misfit said...

Incredibly well organised event Miriel, I am so impressed. I've dropped in at very times and have experienced absolutely no lag at all - unheard of for an event of this scale. I do hope that organisers of similar events will adopt similar policies to ensure that the experience is smooth and enjoyable for everyone.

September 18, 2007 1:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Stephanie, this is probably the first expo I've been to where there is no lag, and it has an easy layout for shopping..
unfortunetly/fortunetly this means I did alot of shopping! :) Wouldn't it be nice if all of them where like this?
Great job Miriel!

September 18, 2007 6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miriel, I thought you did an awesome job and I know I haven't had an issue with your enforcement, nor would I if you'd asked me to change anything. Honestly, people just do not understand how much work goes into an event like this - they take the event organizer for granted and think it's all about them! (It's all about ME, of course. ;) But anyway, just wanted to let you know what a great job I think you've done. :D

September 18, 2007 11:41 AM  
Blogger Miriel Enfield said...

Thank you, all. I'm very glad that you're all enjoying yourselves, and that you can move around. :D

September 18, 2007 4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has been, without question, the least laggy event of its type I've had the pleasure to browse. By a very wide margin. Good work!

September 19, 2007 2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home