Friday, September 21, 2007

I've started making some jewelry for men. This means, of course, that I need to take pictures of this jewelry being worn, which means I either need to a) hire a male model or b) get myself a male avatar. Given that I'm fussy and don't relish the idea of having to tell a model "no, that doesn't work, try this" or even "no, you don't have the look I want, I'm not hiring you," I chose option b.

This took a while. The male skin market is rather unimpressive at the moment and the sliders are, as always, a pain. (CJ very kindly gave me the old TaP male skins, but they were a bit too soft for me.) I had some nightmarish results along the way, particularly when switching between male and female avatars. Skin of one sex + shape of another sex = scary (unless you're Lucas Lameth). Behold:


Female skin, male shape.


Male skin, female shape. I didn't grab a snapshot of myself in a skin with chest hair, but I probably should have.

However, I did finally manage to create something nice. Hello, ladies!

All that's needed is some girly text and a swooning lady with a lot of cleavage, and you've got yourself a romance novel cover.

6 Comments:

Blogger Candy said...

I've been pondering the same problem. I can use my partner to take photos of the jewelry, but I have the same problem of it taking more time to instruct him than it would to do it myself.

I agree about the male skin situation and I didn't find a shape I really liked so the next step is doing my own, something I'm not looking forward to!

September 22, 2007 2:57 AM  
Blogger Whatsername again....? said...

I'd choose the same route...I'm awful with photoshoots that include more than just myself. (unless I'm being directed)

(ps- hommina hommina! *wolf whistle!*)

September 22, 2007 4:10 AM  
Blogger Alyssum Therian said...

I do the same thing but your Male Av is way hotter than mine :)

September 22, 2007 6:50 AM  
Blogger Vasean said...

Very handsome well done Miriel :)

Did you give him a name ?

September 22, 2007 10:04 AM  
Blogger Miriel Enfield said...

Thanks! So everyone knows, I'm using a by Max skin here -- it's a little more photoreal than I'd like, but it's not like I had oodles of options here. (I really hope TaP makes some male skins for their Vivant line.)

I also recommend playing around with the chin cleft settings. I got his chin to look vastly less stupid by setting them to something other than zero.

And no, Vasean, he doesn't have a name (besides the rather disturbing "Man-Miriel"). Though I suppose I could continue with my nerdy name scheme and call him Finwe. (Finwe was a character from Tolkien's writings. His first wife was Míriel and his second was Indis, whom I named my alt after.)

September 22, 2007 12:32 PM  
Blogger Lizbeth Marlowe said...

Hi Mir,

He looks great and I'm a big fan of the by Max skins...have you checked out any of the male skins by sachi Vixen? she's got MANY to choose from, stubble and no stubble. Best of luck finding the skin you like.
The av shape is nice, not a muscle bound body builder like so many male avs in sl. Great Job, looking forward to seeing him on your shop vendors.

September 25, 2007 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home