Monday, September 24, 2007

Some of you expressed surprise when I said in my previous entry that my store does poorly, so let me clarify. By the standards of being able to pay my tier and go on SL shopping sprees, I'm doing fine. I have plenty of play money. But I'd been trying to make a living off this (my health isn't good RL and there isn't a whole lot else I'm able to do), and in order to do that, I'd need to make something like six to eight times more than I currently do. And what's worse, my business has only barely grown in a year. So by those standards, no, I'm not doing well.

(For the record, I've mostly given up on this goal -- I'm stupidly stubborn but not that stupid -- but there isn't a whole lot else I can do at this point. Plus, I'm not otherwise hurting for RL money, so I can afford to spend time on this.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Tuli said...

I am in the same situation it seems, I totally understand. My health is not good either and SL is pretty much the only thing I can do right now. People seem to think I make buckets of money, but I don't.
Maybe we just aren't marketing or advertising wonders, Miriel, nor social or asskissing miracles. We just do our thing in peace. And that makes us a bit invisible to the masses. I have been thinking about making a joint venture/department store brand with others to pull resources and traffic, but most do not jump with glee at that idea (read: nobody), because they're afraid to lose their own brand identity. But that doesn't have to happen. *shrugs* And I guess the amount of trust out there is very little.

September 25, 2007 2:25 AM  
Blogger Casandra Shilova said...

Miriel, I'm truly very sorry to learn that your health isn't what you could wish it to be.

Thanks for the clarification. You just finished the Expo, perhaps if you take a break you will be able to tackle avenues for growth and brand recognition refreshed.

Wishing you all of the best,
Casie

September 25, 2007 2:30 AM  
Blogger CronoCloud said...

Tuli, (and everyone) I am surprised how little cross-promotion/cross-marketing/joint ventures goes on in SL. I think the lack of trust or more accurately caution is why there aren't more "senior staff" assisting designers stores with building/ads and whatnot.

September 25, 2007 4:35 AM  
Blogger Miriel Enfield said...

Oh, Tuli, I'm sorry to hear your health isn't good. :( If it's the kind of thing that can get better, I hope it does.

Casandra, I kind of do want to take a break, but I've been taking a few of those lately. A nice longish one sounds so nice, though.

September 25, 2007 8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home