Sunday, October 14, 2007

I recently picked up some things to distract myself with, including Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Goodness, it's pretty*. I don't really play graphical computer games, so I find myself comparing it to SL. It's really driven home for me how fugly SL's horizons are and how damaging this is to the overall look of things. It reminds me of the time I added sound to part of my parcel: I didn't realize how big a void its absence left until I added it. Look out into the distance in Oblivion and there are mountains and buildings. Look out into the distance in SL and there's nothing but smoggy haze, or an abrupt cutoff where things stopped being rendered, or gigantic square holes in the ocean. Everything's either dingy looking or blatantly unrealistic. And I know there is only so much LL can do with the horizon, but they could at least make the void ocean look better.

However, SL has better hair! It's like I'm stuck running around in Linden hair when I play Oblivion...


* And addictive. Must drag myself away to answer IMs. Oh, well. I was mostly just breaking lock picks anyway.

6 Comments:

Blogger Roenik Newell said...

If you're using the PC version of Oblivion, do a search for Oblivion mods.

Many will allow much better hair, armor, skills, backpacks, camps with campfires when you rest, etc.

Enjoy the many hundreds of hours in Cyrrodil!

October 14, 2007 3:05 PM  
Blogger Eyva Matova said...

LOL I love Oblivion, if they made it MMO I don't think I'd ever leave, and if they merged it with Warcraft I'd die happy :D

October 14, 2007 3:17 PM  
Blogger Ennui said...

If they merged Oblivion and World of Warcraft .. I'd probably die of starvation at the computer, unable to tear myself away.

October 15, 2007 3:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you like what you're playing in regular Oblivion, get the Shivering Isles expansion. It is sooo pretty! And it has some MUCH prettier dresses, too. And some fancier guy clothing, but I'm all about the girly stuff. However, I dunno about the hair... I'm playing the 360 version so I can't access the add-ons/mods the PC users can.

October 15, 2007 10:46 AM  
Blogger Miriel Enfield said...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into add ons (official and otherwise) after I'm more familiar with the basic game. :) I think it's really neat that you can make mods for it, though.

October 15, 2007 3:45 PM  
Blogger Nef said...

Lol, my avatar is what brought me back to SL after a stay in Cyrrodil! I was playing a high elf whom I tried very hard to make pretty... and I couldn't stand watching her run like she had an enormous maxi pad in her undies. I kept thinking to myself "I seriously need to get a better ao". Lol, and I totally know what you mean by the beauty of Oblivion is inspiring... I keep looking at the town statues and saying "oohhh here's the seam where they used another object, and here's the texture vertices! Their sculpts must use about twice as many points as we have..."

Such a pretty game. I want Shadowmere ISL

October 17, 2007 6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home