Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Expect further delays, as my computer seems to have decided that it no longer wants to run 3D applications. It works for about twenty seconds, and then everything freezes. And then the monitor shuts off and I need to pull the plug and restart. I'm going to give things a few more tries, though, because sometimes problems will mysteriously resolve themselves. Here's hoping, at least.

UPDATE: The problem has not resolved itself, and an attempt to boot to CD and use the magic fixit included on the Windows CD resulted in a blue screen of death. Why do I always manage to break my computers?

5 Comments:

Blogger Iris said...

Try a Windows reinstall. That might work. And hopefully you keep your system on a separate disk so you won't run the risk of losing anything.

March 19, 2008 12:58 AM  
Blogger Miriel Enfield said...

I can boot into safe mode, weirdly enough, so I'm going to back things up that way (bleah). And then I'm going to call tech support (bleah again), because I'm not sure if this is a Windows error or a hardware problem.

March 19, 2008 6:19 AM  
Blogger Miriel Enfield said...

(Though I'm betting on hardware problem: I'm getting lines of green dots on startup, like my computer is running some low resolution version of the matrix, plus other visual artifacts.)

March 19, 2008 6:20 AM  
Blogger Terry Toland said...

You're too hot to handle, Miriel? *Dodges pillows and tomatoes*

If you're able to, back-up your files and then try doing all those fun things: defrag, disc clean, and potentially to the last-saved safe... thing. I forget the name.

Otherwise, you may try a reinstall. Which is very much a pain, because you'll loose what you can't save or don't have on a separate disc.

Sorry if the advice is obvious. ^^;

March 19, 2008 6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like a video card problem. In MOST cases, issues like these are do to video cards dying or memory cards going corrupt.

March 19, 2008 1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home