Sunday, April 20, 2008

I've been thinking a lot about visuals lately. More than usual, I mean. And I've got a little wish list of things I'd like (but will probably not get). Besides a better night sky, I mean, which I've wanted forever.

1. Optional normal mapping for terrain textures. Well, normal mapping for everything would be nice, but you and I both know that giving people an excuse to add twice as many huge textures to things is a recipe for disaster. Terrain is limited to four 512 x 512 textures, though, so the performance cost shouldn't be too bad. And adding a bit of depth to the very smooth ground would really help with realism, I think.

2. Terrain textures that repeat more often. I think each texture repeats once over a 16 x 16 m square. Everything turns blurry and you can forget about any kind of fine detail, unless you keep things at an unrealistically large scale. I'd love it if that distance were cut down to 8 x 8. (At least I think I would. Maybe everything would look way too repetitive that way.)

3. The ability to fine tune the degree to which environmental lighting affects a face. Right now, we can turn environmental lighting off entirely (via the full bright check box -- yes, that's what that actually does, it's not really a button to make everything glow). But that's it: it's either on or off. I don't know how feasible this is, but I'd rather see it treated like glow is, where you can set a value from 0.00 to 1.00. With that and a bit of careful texturing, for instance, you could make interiors that only took some of the environmental light -- you know, like real interiors do.

4. A pony. (And a better night sky.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Casandra Shilova said...

I always wanted a pony. We pastured a horse for a while and I could ride him whenever I liked. *huge grin*

Regarding your landscaping dissatisfaction and wishes - I totally agree that it's frustrating to not be able to render things exactly as you can picture them. However you have turned out one of the best, most consistent efforts I've seen yet and I am now totally convinced that you are even more of a perfectionist than I am. Some of my best friends share this trait :D

hugs,
Casie

April 21, 2008 10:11 AM  
Blogger Miriel Enfield said...

Aww, thank you. Though, really, it's more of an idle wishlist than an expression of frustration -- just little things I think would make a big improvement. (What's frustrating is the lack of custom meshes!)

April 21, 2008 12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home