Friday, April 18, 2008

The sim will be done when (and if) it's done. That's all I can say now.

I'm posting now, actually, because I have a note on sculpties. I've heard that using smaller sculpt textures can lead to more efficient sculpties, even ones that have fewer vertices than normal prims. The smaller textures lead to vertices being right on top of each other, and supposedly these duplicate vertices will be automagically culled by your video card, leading to a lower overall rendering cost.

I've been doing some testing of sculpted prim efficiency these past couple of days, so I decided to test this while I was at it. I made a 64 x 64 sculpt texture of a simple cylinder, then made a copy of that texture and resized it to 16 x 16. (I tried 8 x 8, but SL seemed to have issues with that.) I turned my draw distance down to 64, went to an isolated spot on my sim (read: nothing would be moving in or out of rendering view), rezzed an object that I applied the 64 x 64 sculpt texture to, and checked the ktris drawn numbers. Without changing the camera angle, I then applied the 16 x 16 sculpt texture to the object, and checked the numbers again.

They hadn't changed.

I tried this with a variety of different camera angles and the results were always the same: the ktris drawn numbers were identical. Now, perhaps there's something screwy about the ktris measurements or about my experiment, but my best guess now is that using smaller sculpt textures doesn't lead to more efficient sculpties.

3 Comments:

Blogger Terry Toland said...

First and foremost, it is good to hear from you again! :D Thank you for posting and giving us blog-readers an idea of what you're up to.

Second, some good things take time. A baby takes almost a year, and rushing a pregnancy can be unhealthy. I know you've set due-dates and it may feel uncomfortable that you haven't kept them, but if you need more time to give your sim all the care it needs, then take it. <3

April 18, 2008 5:25 AM  
Blogger Nef said...

Yaaaaay I'm glad you're feeling better again! I know I've seen you around SLU but I'm still happy your posting again ♥

I agree with Green, take your time, let it grow as it needs to, we'll wait happily and we'll love the results!

April 18, 2008 8:35 AM  
Blogger Miriel Enfield said...

Thanks, both of you. I lost all my momentum several weeks ago (which was basically the only thing keeping me going at that point) and I've just now started easing my way back into things.

April 19, 2008 3:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home