Monday, September 22, 2008

I'm still sort of working on the trees, though I'd let them sit for a few days. They're not going so well. I do one thing, go "no, it could be better," do something else, go "no," do the first thing again, and on and on and on.

I've got a question, in case anyone wants to answer. The newest release candidate supports "oblong" sculpted prims. (They're sculpted prims that aren't square, in short.) These would allow me to make trees that looked better and used fewer prims. However, outside of the release candidate, they're a total mess. I'm hoping that LL will do a forced update when oblong sculptie support migrates to the official viewer, but they may not, and there's no guarantee of when that will be.

So, here's my question: if you were in the market for trees, would you be interested in buying one with oblong sculpties, even though they may not display correctly for everyone?

4 Comments:

Blogger Polly Pavlova said...

Are you loading the oblong sculpties in the RC and then passing the actual sculptie to someone without the RC? the RC also supports using a torus sculptie (so it has a hole in the center without the need of a script) I find that as long as I load the torus sculptie in the RC it looks the same no matter who I give it to, however passing just the texture doesn't work.
:P
Polly Pavlova

September 22, 2008 1:57 PM  
Blogger Miriel Enfield said...

Torus sculpties aren't oblong sculpties. :) The torus/sphere/cylinder/plane thing refers to how the edges of the sculptie are knit together. Oblong sculpties use a differently sized grid of vertices, instead of the standard 32 x 32. Totally different thing.

I've heard from a reputable source that they're a total mess outside of the RC. I've never tested it myself; I suppose I could.

September 22, 2008 2:30 PM  
Blogger Casandra Shilova said...

I would be tempted by anything that freed up more prims on my land. I spend quite a bit of time there - mostly by myself so I wouldn't be too concerned by trees that looked unusual to others.

I will be back in world this Friday night and would glad to test them for you. I have RC & regular SL on my computer. Can send you pictures.

September 26, 2008 2:04 AM  
Blogger Miriel Enfield said...

Thanks for the feedback, Casandra. I don't actually have any trees to send you right now, though.

September 27, 2008 10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home